This position will be open until filled.
Job Summary: This position is a member of the tutoring unit of the College Learning Commons. This position coordinates tutoring and learning activities and schedules at assigned location(s) and assists with recruiting, hiring, and training casual tutoring staff, developing and promoting schedules and activities, maintaining accurate and current usage data and reports, scheduling and conducting workshops and visits, and processing and verifying tutoring staff employment paperwork and timesheets.
Bachelor's Degree and 3 years experience working in higher education and/or working with adult students. Or a combination of experience and education sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job.
Licensing Requirements: Please note that this position requires employees to comply with PA Act 15. You will need to present completed clearances and training certificates at the time of hire. Please visit https://www.hacc.edu/HumanResources/NewHire/index.cfm (and scroll to PA Act 15 Clearances) for more information.
The Equipment You'll Need:
It is HACC’s expectation that candidates selected for this role will provide their own technology equipment while working remotely.
Your own computer (Windows, Linux, or Macintosh desktop or laptop) with current web browser installed (Firefox, Edge, Safari, Chrome) https://www.whatismybrowser.com/guides/the-latest-version/
Access to broadband internet connection at all times during employment (DSL, 4G/LTE, FIOS, Satellite, or Cable/Xfinity/Comcast https://www.speedtest.net/
Equipment/technology which enables you to communicate synchronously during meetings and other events, such as USB Headset, speaker and microphone, captioning services, adaptive technology, assistive devices, etc.
If you are not able to meet the equipment requirements listed above and are selected for the role, you can request a special accommodation. Our ability to grant your request will be based on documented need and inventory availability.
Hiring Range: $21.21 - $26.52
- Ability to work a hybrid schedule - in person at the Lancaster Campus and remote
- Experience tutoring at a community college or university
- Experience working with English as a second language (ESL) populations
- Ability to work as part of a team
Job Specific Task List:
- Coordinates and implements the daily activities of the tutoring program at assigned location(s) in support of the inclusive college-wide tutoring program vision. - (Essential)
- Schedules, promotes, and facilitates tutor activities and academic support services at assigned location(s), which may include academic coaching, workshops, facilitated study groups, and class presentations; manages content on the tutoring unit website. - (Essential)
- Exhibits exemplary communication skills, customer service, and professionalism; responds to student inquiries, recommends effective solutions, and refers students to appropriate college resources; promotes tutoring programs and schedules; provides routine direction, information, and advisement in regards to tutoring policies, procedures, and outcomes. - (Essential)
- Collaborates with Learning Commons personnel to deliver services in an efficient and effective manner and to support accessible tutoring options; establishes and maintains effective working relationships; utilizes appropriate communication methods; communicates via available technology (phone, email, virtual meeting) or in person; organizes complex information and communicates to multiple audiences. - (Essential)
- Conducts research in relevant areas to improve training offerings and services; evaluates tutoring needs at assigned location(s) and makes recommendations for program development and refinement; develops, enhances and sustains procedures, processes and systems, including checklists and electronic forms; assists with preparation of analytical reports. - (Essential)
- Supports department through participation in meetings and college committees; must be reachable by phone during hours the college is operating; flexibility in work schedule is required. - (Essential)
- Performs other duties as assigned. - (Standard)
- Recruits, hires, trains, and schedules peer, paraprofessional, and professional tutors; provides cross-training to other Learning Commons staff to support academic tutoring as needed; cross-trains in other areas of the Learning Commons to provide additional support for the testing, library, and user support units. - (Essential)
Job Type: Part-Time (less than 1,000 hours)
If part time, hours per week: up tp 20
About Us: www.hacc.edu
Our Purpose: Learning for all; learning for life.
Our Diversity Statement: As an institution of higher education, HACC recognizes its responsibility to maintain an environment that affirms the diversity of people and ideas.
HACC embraces, supports, and actively pursues a policy of inclusiveness that reflects and appreciates the diversity of the community it serves and the world in which we live.
The Board of Trustees and the President lead HACC’s commitment to open access to education, diversity, cultural sensitivity, and equal opportunity in employment. This commitment serves to promote a college-wide environment of collegiality, inclusiveness, respect, and cultural competence.
Our Core Values:
- We set high goals and achieve them.
- We consistently perform above our own and others’ expectations.
- We provide exceptional service to all.
- We challenge the status quo.
- We continually strive to develop new and creative approaches to the education and training needs of our communities.
- We promote respect, collegiality, diversity and empathy in all we say and do.
- We nurture awareness and cultural sensitivity to create a climate of trust.
- We create a learning environment that appreciates diversity.
- We respect the shared governance decision-making process.
- We behave in a manner consistent with our core values.
- We are honest, open and truthful in our statements and actions.
- We provide the most accurate information available in all communication.